Saturday, August 19, 2006

Guess who came home???

I'm now happy to inform everybody that Bambur found his way back home. It was not without help and it was with some reluctant feelings. What happened was a very young friend of mine posted some signs about Bambur's running away. We got two calls about him over the next two days. The first was a dead-end. We went to check the dog out and it wasn't Bambur. After we told the people it wasn't my dog they said, "are you sure....Do you want him anyway?" I thought that was weird but then later I found out why they were asking such questions. The next day another person called and said they may have my dog. It turns out that my little friend wrote on the sign that I would pay money to get the dog back. So this person that called took it upon himself to request 300RMB for his act of service. I could not meet him to check the dog out until the next day but when I finally met him it was definately Bambur and he acted excited to see me. He was very dirty and looked a little crazy but it was him for sure. Since I knew this guy wanted money I handed him 50RMB (which will go a long way here). He looked at me like had insulted him. Then he just kept insisting on more money. So as this is going on I'm getting more and more agrivated with this twisted situation and so I untie Bambur(he had him tied to a fence on the sidewalk) and I took 100RMB and shoved it at him and said in chinese "I want you to know that you are a crook." Then I walked away with my dog. There was friend waiting for me to finish all this and then we went to my house together. After Bambur and I hugged and cried I put him down to run up the stairs to our apartment. But, instead of running happily up the stairs he stood next to my friend who was still locking his bike up in the hallway. I called him several times but he just wouldn't come to me but once my buddy came up stairs Bambur followed him with no hesitation. So we get in the house and I give him some water and things seem to be ok. Then later I take him outside to relieve himself and he tries to make a break for it again. I caught him and whooped him and decided right then that I don't need a dog this disloyal. It was already gonna be enough trouble to get all the paperwork and examinations done to get him out of the country. Then I thought about how much he may cost me with an American vet and I realized I can't afford him. So after that, I made a pretty easy decision to give him to a friend of mine who loves him very much. This is the friend who has taken care of Bambur pretty much everytime I've gone out of town over the last 4 months. I have no doubt that he will be a great master for my little Bambur. I think me and that dog were never really meant to be, ya know? So now I feel less stressed having made that decision. Maybe after some time I'll try raising a dog again. But for now, I'll be returning home solo.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

He is just a little prodigal dog, isn't he? Guess he was hitting the teenage years. I have confidence in your ability to return solo- when will that be anyway?

August 20, 2006  
Blogger Vanessa Houk said...

can you please translate RMB to american mula please?

August 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home