Thursday, June 05, 2008

Off to New Mexico

I've been given an opportunity to serve at a church in northern New Mexico for the Summer. I'll be in Los Alamos which is right outside of Santa Fe. My major responsibility seems to be to minister to young adults who work at the national science lab there and college students who are home for the summer. I'll be doing several other things from administration to a little children's ministry. It should be a pretty eventful summer. When I set out on the way to LA, I had to go through San Antonio to be a part of Jonny Collins' wedding. After that I left San Antonio at 3:30am to get to Albuquerque in time to spend a couple hours with my buddy Todd and his wife who live there then LA would be about another hour and a half north of them. I took pictures along the way to chronicle my solo road trip so that I could share the experience with you. Hopefully since I'm blogging again, I'll post lots of pictures and share this whole summer with you.

Even though I knew I wasn't going all the way to El Paso, this still let me know that I had a lot of interstate ahead of me.

this was by far the coolest thing that I saw on the trip over. I was driving along and all of a sudden I see these windmill farms all along the right side of the interstate for miles and miles. I'm not sure who they produce electricity for but it cool. If you didn't know, when you see eighteen wheelers carrying really long, really huge white things that look like gigantic airplane propel ors, those are the blades for these windmills.

After my little detour to help the stranded mariachi band, I was finally headed north and this was the road that would lead on into my destination.

However, there was lots of nothingness to cross over before I would get anywhere. It was kind of weird to be literally in no man's land like that for hours. I wasn't worried about gas cause I'd been warned to get gas before I needed it and I had a jug of water in case anything decided to overheat.



Finally in New Mexico but still in the desert.

I knew I was getting closer to Albuquerque because I was finally seeing mountains in the distance.

As I came into the Sandia range, things began to get remarkably greener.

I always find it difficult and unsafe to drive through the mountains because I want to look around and check things out. I'm sure it's not comforting to you that I've been snapping pictures while driving during this entire trip.

WELCOME TO LOS ALAMOS, NEW MEXICO!!!!!! And a big congratulations to me for finishing the longest road trip I've ever attempted alone. It really wasn't as horrible as I thought it might be. There was plenty of boring moments but it was ok. FYI, there's not much cell phone service along Hwy 285. Just in case you ever need to know that.

For those of you that don't know, the bread butter of Los Alamos is a very large Government established science lab. It was originally secretly created in 1946 (I think) to research and design the first atomic bomb. They were obviously successful. Now they still conduct tons of research and development but things are more advanced now just about everything they're working on has to do with Homeland security. It's a very interesting place. There are about 10,000 people that live at the top of the mountain where I am and then about another 7,000 that live about halfway down the mountain. The lab employs around 12,000 people so about 99% of the town works at the lab doing something. I'll have more on that later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alive And Laughing said...

I truly believe you need to write a blog about the mariachi band. I need to be not the only person to belly laugh about that one! HOWEVER, you better not do it on the way home, or you will be in trouble with Brent!

:0)

June 06, 2008  
Blogger Alive And Laughing said...

Oh wait! If only I had read a little lower I would have seen you already DID write about it! HAHAHA! Yes, another blond moment....yes, you understand! :)

June 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home